Sunday 14 August 2011

Top 9s... GREAT CONCERTS I HAVE SEEN Jellyfish London 21st May 1993



A truly under-rated band is Jellyfish. I fell in love with them at the start of their career, and they still hold a special place in my heart. With luscious harmonies and delicious melodies, Jellyfish were obviously too wonderful for most people to handle! I guess the arrival of grunge pretty much coinciding with their debut release helped put the kibosh on what should have been world domination.
They only released two albums, yet there is a four-disc boxset and even a tribute CD, so there's a definite fanbase out there.
Their gig at the London Astoria was triumphant. Is there anything hotter than a gorgeous, long-haired, Californian lad playing wacky time signatures on a stand up drumkit whilst singing perfect power pop? I think not.
Andy Sturmer, I salute you!

(I was lucky enough to be put on the guestlist for this gig, which meant not being given a physical ticket. I did however, find one a few years ago on a popular internet auction site. I've been looking everywhere for it but can't place it right now. When I do, I'll upload it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment