Tuesday 16 August 2011

Top 9s... FOREIGN LANGUAGE SONGS Der Kommissar Falco (GERMAN)

I'm a fan of Falco (R.I.P.) He was more than just 'Rock Me Amadeus'. He is also one of few popstars who have/had perfect pitch.
'Der Kommissar' topped the chart in several European countries and Japan. Although it failed to get anywhere in the UK, it reached number four in New Zealand and seven in Australia.
After The Fire's English version got to number five in the US, 17 in Australia (and according to my book, although Falco's was originally released in 1981, both versions were in the chart simultaneously) and 47 in the UK. It also made number two on the South African chart.


An interesting cover was released by Gloria Branigan (R.I.P.) in the same year as After The Fire's version. Technically, it is the same song, albeit with new lyrics. If I knew how to add music from my own collection on here, I would have offered up my 45. But I can't, so here is her live version.

No comments:

Post a Comment